Google Analytics tracking

7/29/09

A Pre-Professional's Perspective...AAFCS

I asked Katie Patton, a former Missouri FCCLA state president who is currently studying to become a family and consumer sciences teacher, to write about her experiences at the 2009 AAFCS conference. Katie was kind enough to submit this article for our blog.


What could be better than listening to family and consumer sciences professionals from across the globe, gaining tons of new ideas, networking with professionals and other pre-professionals, and celebrating 100 years of family and consumer sciences? “Celebrating the Past, Sustaining the Future” was the theme for the 2009 Annual Conference of the American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (AAFCS), and I was fortunate enough to attend as part of the Kentucky affiliate. I currently serve as the Kentucky Student Unit treasurer, and our officer team made the short trip to Knoxville, TN to partake in the historic event.

During the conference, I was able to meet with several past presidents of AAFCS and listen to their stories of how the profession has changed. I also listened to keynote speakers such as Doris Christopher, founder and chairman of The Pampered Chef, who shared her experiences in family and consumer sciences, as well as a panel of international experts discussing the sustainability of FCS both globally and locally. Being a pre-professional, I was able to network with several fellow members and make some great contacts for my upcoming graduate school search and application process.

While in Knoxville, I also began my term serving as the student liaison to the Annual Conference Planning Committee for next year’s conference in Cleveland, OH. Throughout the year, I will be working with other AAFCS members to plan an exciting conference entitled, “New Challenges, New Solutions, New Century for FCS.” I’m already very excited about this event and encourage everyone to join us in Cleveland, June 24-26, 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment